Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A New Start, Attempt #76

I am once again going to try this diet thing. Not a temporary fix, but a life long change. I need to change my mindset about how much I can eat, and about what exactly I'm shoving into my face. I have to take care of this body if I want to be alive and mobile when my grandchildren are around, and not be limited by my size and health.

I am starting a new life in Georgia in 8 months, and I'd really prefer to start it without the struggles of being overweight. Which means I have 8 months to lose 15-20 pounds. I know I can do it, because I've done it before and then some.

It will be a challenge to not graze on the unhealthy foods that my Mom keeps stocked in the house, and to not let her naivity of unhealthy foods persuade me into making unhealthy choices. I'm doing this because I don't want to be in her shoes at her age, which means I need to not make the same dietary choices she has made that got her to where she is today. I love my Mom, but that is one area that I don't want to be like her.

Food is not a priority in life. It does not dictate happiness, or how much fun I might be having. Food is fuel for my body. I need to give it just enough to allow me to live, and not a calorie more. Food is not a lifestyle, it is a tool - and thats the mindset I need to get into.

So here's to week #1. (I might have had half a donut today, but in my defense, that was before I decided to return to this journey).

(Here's also to forgiving myself to my slip-ups and mistakes, because no one is perfect).

No comments: