Monday, October 11, 2010

Disconnected

I was talking to Josh the other week about moving, and came up with the startling revelation that I'm not going to miss living in Los Angeles, or the Valley. I'm sure I'll miss the house I grew up in, but I certainly won't miss Pacoima. I'll have memories of our aparment, but I'm not going to miss that either, or Northridge. I won't miss the L.A., or Hollywood scene. I'm not connected to my city.

I'll miss my family, and I'll miss the familiarity of this place I've called home for 26 years, but for some reason, even before meeting Josh, I haven't planted my roots here.

I see that as a telling sign that this is the right move for me. I already see Atlanta as holding so much more for me. The people, the culture, the sense of community. L.A. is a selfish place where people, for the most part, walk around caring only for themselves. I look forward to walking around and have people say hello to me as I pass them on the sidewalk instead of just looking down or texting their life away. It's time to start connecting with people, with life, with a place.

I just got a new car, a Toyota Corolla, that I ended up leasing. 3 years. I just picture how much my life will change in 3 years. I'll have moved from L.A. to Atlanta. We'll have bought a house, and hopefully a nice one at that, and hopefully I will either have a child, or atleast be pregnant with my first child.

In 3 years.

That's not a very long time.

Lets do this!

No comments: