Friday, July 30, 2010

My Mommy

It's no secret that I absolutely adore my Mom. She's always been very fair towards me, and VERY giving (although I'm sure I would have thought or said differently in my adolescent years when things weren't going my way). She does occassionaly give the unneeded guilt trip from time to time, but, that's just who she is.

It seems that lately, she's really started to miss me. She'll treat Josh and I out to dinner because she just wants to see us, and whenever I come over, she's so happy to see me. Granted, I'm just as happy to see her.

It makes me wonder if she knows, deep down, that Josh and I won't be here much longer. I've yet to sit down and talk to her about it yet, but it's come up here and there, and brushed off just as quickly.

My mom is really everything I'd hope and want to be as a Mom. She's always been there for me when I've been having a hard time and I regret not going to her more often when I was younger. It took me awhile to really open up to her and let her in on whats going on in my life. She's helped me financially more times than I can count, and with anything else I need.

I asked her if she'd help me make some cupcakes for Youngs Surprise Birthday tonight, and as always, she was more than willing - as long as I bought the tub of frosting from Joanne's. That morning, she calls and says that she already baked the cupcakes so all we'd have to do was decorate them - which is really, more her area of expertise than it is mine, and did a fantastic job. I helped by adding sprinkles.

One thing I'd love to learn, and am ashamed that I haven't learned yet, is her cooking, baking, and cake decorating skills. That is one thing I've always admired about her, and now that I only have a year left with access to her kitchen, it's something I really want to try.

My cousin Ashley has started to take cake decorating lessons, which is something I really really want to do. My mom mentioned that Ashley is going to come over for a flower lesson and that I could come and join them and that makes me really excited. My mom is so talented, and I hope that if I apply myself, that I might share those same talents!

I'm sure going to miss her when I leave, along with the rest of my family. Oh man, it's going to be so hard.

:(

But the fact that this is something I still want to do, despite how painful it will be to not be with my family except for a few times a year, reaffirms that this is a good choice for me, and Josh, and our future family.

No comments: