Thursday, May 20, 2010

Rafting on the American River

When I was younger, I was heavily involved in my church youth group. There would be small events at the church on the weekends, youth retreats up to Big Bear, and one retreat even to Seattle. One of the trips that we took that remains close to my heart was to a camp called Rock n' Water. It was a camp located in Sacramento on the American River that took you on a two day rafting trip and one day rock climbing trip. I had the best time of my life doing something so new and exciting.

After that I was hooked. I convinced my Girl Scout troop to go not once, but twice. The first time we went, we went with a company called White Water Connection. The camp was great, the food was good, and the guides were so funny (and cute to boot!). After girl scouts, I convinced my family to go a few times as well.

The first trip I planned in my college years was with my group of friends. We were on our way there when I get a voicemail from the company asking me to call them. Immediately, my heart sunk. What if they had to cancel due to overbooking or some other matter. We had already driven about 4 hours. But, it was the opposite. They had a cancellation for their Middle Fork, and wanted to move us to that one for free. The Middle Fork is a bit more for intermediate rafters with higher class rapids, where as the South Fork is fairly tame.

This change in plans couldn't have gone any better. The Middle Fork was so much fun, and was a nice deviation from the section of the river I'd been on a handful of times. Even some of my friends who had never been rafting before enjoyed the more intense rapids.

The last time I had gone was in 2006, and every summer since, I've regretted not going. Now, with a move to the East Coast looming above my head, and this possibly being my last Summer in California, I knew I had to plan one last trip to the American River. We're tentatively looking at the 4th of July weekend, as they have discounted rates that weekend, and because its a built in 3-day Weekend.

I'm still trying to get the troops in line, but even if its just Josh and I, I know it will be a blast.

1 comment:

Katherine Lacabe said...

I had a great time going with you and your parents.

I was just thinking about that the other day when I saw the Mexican Train game at Target. I remember your mom and dad (and others) playing it at the house we stayed at (who's was it? I don't remember what it looked like).