Friday, January 25, 2008

Family

Since moving out, I've found I'm enjoying spending time with the family even more. I'm there twice a week to clean, in return of my Mom helping out on my school loan, and we get to spend time together and eat dinner and such. I think I value being there more and my parents value seeing me more. Josh was able to come last night because he got off work early, and its great to see how well he fits in, and how much my parents love him.

Later that night when we were going to bed, Josh turned to me and said he really enjoyed spending time at my parents house. That made me soooo happy. I've always had a close family, and family is so important to me. It's nice knowing that I don't have to beg Josh to spend time with them.

Josh and I may not have tons of things in common as far as movies, music, etc. but we certainly share the same set of family values, and that to me is the best groundwork of a relationship.

I really do feel so much different after moving out. I actually feel like an adult, even though I'm still enjoying the benefits of not paying bills and rent. I have a place that is mine, and is my responsibility to clean and take care of and that certainly has made me much more responsible. I've finally rid myself of the adolescent laziness I had when it came to keeping my room clean and putting things away. I'm adapting a routine in this new house and it involves putting the bathroom stuff away, dirty clothes in the laundry basket, making the bed, etc. I love that everyday, Josh and I can come home to a clean house, and get into a made bed. It makes all the difference in the world.

I'm also turning things around moneywise. Though, I haven't been able to put money into savings quite yet, I'm finally not going into the negatives before each payday. For the past two weeks I've had over $200 in my checking on payday, and that is such a great feeling. I have been approved to start working full time, though the start date of that is still up in the air, but I'm looking forward to paying off my credit card and finally being able to put money back in savings.

Josh has certainly taught me the art of frugalness. I've stopped spending money on things I don't need - and saving money for our future has certainly been great motivation. I have been thinking about starting to put away $20 per paycheck in an envelope that will be used to vacations/trips/fun things - and I will only allow myself to do those fun things when there is enough in the envelope. The rest of the money will be used for bills and "important" savings. The last thing I want to do is bring up children in a world where we can't afford to do things.

I'm slowly but surely, growing up. And, although I've got a ways to go, I'm on the right track. Yipeeee!

No comments: